Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Just some stuff

Ahh...the bars are moving. The list continues! I recently completed a book - AND a knitting project (pics soon - of the knitted thing, not the book) which are big fun things. On to the next book - which is the next in the Otherland series, and my next knitting project which is a pair of mittens.

You may have noticed that I changed the list entry "random acts of kindness" to just "acts of kindness" there seems to be a lot of stickiness around the whole random thing. Like, first of all if you have a goal of 30 random acts of kindness in essence they aren't random because they are planned. See what I mean? What if I knit something and give it to someone all sneaky style. Is it random? Apparently not if I had that particular person in mind when knitting them the item. Anyway it's taking up too much of my brain space and besides I have done anything particularly nice for anyone lately so it's not really that big of a deal. I will make sure that they are still good ones though, no weak acts of kindness for sure.

Additionally I may have mentioned this before, but there will definitely be crossovers. For example, I have been meaning to get involved with this program called F.A.R.M.S. (Focus on Agriculture in Rural Maine Schools, I know...cute right?) for a long time. So volunteering for an event with them would count as 1. something I've wanted to do for a long time (duh) and 2. volunteering.

I gotta say, I am really liking the list. I have had some sort of revelations about myself lately and I don't know if it's just me being philosophical or me paying such close attention to what I am up to because of the list, or me just being all retrospective because of the whole lame 30 thing. One thing that I have come to realize is that I have not been very nice to myself at all for the past oh 16 years. Basically since I have been in charge of myself I have chosen to not take care of my body at all and put shitty food into it, barely maintain it and am pretty mean to it. If I treated a kid like I treat myself, I would totally be taken away from me(does that make sense?) Of course I would never treat Maggie that way, I make sure she eats great food and has fun things to do and is encouraged and praised even for her smallest accomplishments and is living in a nurturing and loving environment, shouldn't I do the same for myself? I think the list has helped me to sort of praise myself for small accomplishments, and realize that some things I do/don't do are pretty silly - why is it I can't squeeze in enough water or exercise? Also I think that I am really filling up my time with more positive things, things that will help me grow as a person instead of stagnate. Yes the list is pretty self centered but I think that overall I am working towards being closer to the person I want to be instead of fighting the universe to turn into someone I am not, and because of that it is making me a much more conscientious parent. Anyhow, that's a lot of revelations for only a week in. I'll be interested to see what I have to say in 6 months.

Pictures of knitted item to come soon!
Oh also I had another new recipe - this one is a Kate invention. A big piece of pork - about 3lbs. in crockpot with diced tomatoes, celery, onions, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of water. Cook on Low for 7 hours. Serve over brown rice. Day 2. Buy small focaccia, cut in half, fill with pork. Eat. Exclaim how it's the best thing you've eaten in weeks. See, really it's 2 recipes, but I only counted it as one. I'm crazy like that.

No comments:

Oldies but Goodies: