Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ugh. and Yay!


Quick Update: Finished another knitting proj. last night. Woot! Most of what I am knitting, well ALL of what I am knitting right now is for XMAS presents, and so, won't be posting the descriptions etc. until later. But I am making progress, so woot for me!

Minor setback on the books. I started listening to "The Last Fish Tale" by Mark Kurlansky last night while I was working. Dudes. So fracking boring. I seriously can't bear to listen to any more. I don't know if it's the reader or what. I thought it was going to be an interesting book about the decline of the fishing industry with some cool stories about Gloucester MA thrown in for color. Yeah, not really. It's just basically a history of facts about the area. Also it is rife with inconsistencies. For example: at first he says how the whole island is made up of people from many different cultures who have always welcomed/needed new comers because so many people die off from fishing accidents. Then a half hour or so later he talks about how mean the "locals" were to new comers from other countries. Ugh. Anyway it's a fracking snoozefest.

I will add one weird thing though, he was talking about this storm that killed a bunch of fishermen, I think about 115 of them. Anyway, it was on an unseasonably warm December 15th. The wind came up and smashed all the boats. Anyway it was super weird because the weather was exactly the same yesterday as it was on that day in ye olde times.

Sorry, this is just a really long way to tell you that The Last Fish Tale is out. And I can't even finish it, even in this late hour and 2 hours into the audiobook. It rates a double poopsandwich with a side of boogers. I will be starting The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell later today. Now there's a woman who knows how to take boring history and make it intersting. If you've never read/listened to Ms. Vowell I highly recommend her.

That's all.

No comments:

Oldies but Goodies: