Friday, February 8, 2008

Yay! Finally!

Got some pictures for you finally! Without further adieu:

Knitting Project #2 Cable Brim Hat Knitting Project. #3 Slipper Socks, and Turkeys!














As you can see, it's all very exciting. The knitting projects are 2 and 3 because I forgot to take a picture of 1 and gave it away. Hopefully in the next few days I will have a better picture of the turkeys so that you can see better how huge and prehistoric they are.

Moving on. As you may know from some of my bloggings last year, I am very intrigued with the idea of Lent. Which is the tradition of giving something up for 40 dayss after Ash Wednesday. I like this idea of an annual giving up of something. Except instead of 40 days I like the idea of giving it up permanently.
So, yesterday I decided to give up my afternoon nap. I got a lot of stuff done while Mags was napping, and felt pretty good about it. But later on I got thinking about what I should REALLY give up. And that thing is....drum roll please....celebrity gossip. I have no idea how I became one of *those* people. I imagine it's how a cocaine addiction starts, hey this is harmless and kind of fun every once in awhile, and then it just snowballs to an every day thing. Is a celebrity gossip addiction as detrimental as a coke addiction? I dunno, but it was definately taking time from me doing healthier activities, and though it wouldn't kill me, I really feel that too much Britney will kill your soul. So today, I got rid of all my links on my home page and replaced them with good stuff. I deleted - get ready - E!, People, Perez Hilton AND TMZ from my homepage. Shit Kate, that's a lot of useless information you were packing into your skull each day. In their place I added, word of the day (English AND Spanish) Buddhist thought of the day, Salon, and pictures of the day from National Geographic and Nasa. All much better than reading about what the Hollywood skanks are up to now.

I had a lovely visit with some friends last night, and ate way too much good food. I also made baklava for the first time, and it was quite delicious if I do say so myself. Oh! and I love coincidences that actually seem very uncoincidental - oddly enough as I was reading the Baklava recipe I learned that it is a traditional dessert served at Lent with the different layers representing the 40 days, and I hadn't even planned that! So that was pretty cool.

Another development is that the other night when I was adding my bird list over here ---> I learned that next week there is an event taking place called the Great Back Yard Bird Count a joint project between Audubon and The Cornell School of Ornithology. I'm definately signing up. A cool way volunteer, and do some good without actually much effort on my part :) I encourage you to count your birds as well! Oh, also in bird news, I am striking the birds I saw at my moms house, and am only going to go by the ones at my own feeder. This will also encourage me to vary my seeds etc. As you can see, I already have identified quite a few!

Got to start a new knitting project today. I feel odd without something "on the needles" I'm out.

1 comment:

Dan B said...

Nice work giving up the celeb gossip... If the rest of America could follow your lead it would be a much better country to live in.

Oldies but Goodies: