Monday, February 11, 2008

Just the facts Ma'm

I actually just did some math. Ok, Excel did the actual math part, but I had to remember how to get averages. Shut up. Seriously, is that something I use often? No I do not. In fact I try to use math as little as humanly possible. This is a typical math problem for me: How much does that cost? How much is in my wallet? Do I have greater than/less than what that costs. Yes? Yay! No?Walk Away. Anyhow I was interested in figuring out what my average% completed is for the list, AND how much should be completed each month in order to achieve my goals. If I was to complete everything at a leisurely pace I should figure on 8.33 percent completion per item per month. Now, here's the thing, some of my goals are at 0, and some of them are at 53%, which makes me love averages. Anyhow, if you tally up all my goals, my current average is 9.69%. Yay! I feel that this is the sort of math/logic that the government uses all the time. As you can see, though I'm not even working on some of my goals, the ones I am working on are canceling them out, and in fact I am ahead of the game! Huh? Exactly!

I watched Capote last night and it too receives a Woot. But a much more emphatic Woot than Shopgirl. Phillip Seymour Hoffman did an excellent job and should totally get an Oscar for this movie. Oh wait, he did like a year ago. This movie was about, you guessed it Truman Capote who, it just so happens wrote the book that one of my favorite movies ever - Breakfast at Tiffanys- is based on. Capote centers around the 4 years of Truman Capote's life while he was researching and writing his non-fiction novel In Cold Blood. Capote tells the story of a Kansas family of 4 who were brutally murdered and the 2 men who killed them. A couple of things I found kind of annoying about this movie were 1. They never showed or told the evidence that they had against the two murderers and 2. You didn't find out until about half way through the movie if they actually committed the crime or not, or at least whether or not Capote believed that they did. This is the second movie in about a week I have seen with Kathrine Keener the other being 40 Year Old Virgin and I have decided she's great, and I really like her. Where has she been all these years? It's like she sprouted into celebritydom in her 40s. She plays Harper Lee, yes, that Harper Lee, the one who wrote To Kill A Mockingbird. Another thing I really liked about this movie was I the way it portrayed Capote as a writer, his immersion in the subject and mulling it over for months, perhaps years before actually getting down to the writing part. I can empathize Mr. Capote. One final thought: at the end of the movie there are these little notes like "Capote died in 1984 from alcoholism related problems" etc. etc. they said "After In Cold Blood, Capote never finished another book." Well, I did a bit of research this morning, and that is not really true. While he didn't finish another whole novel, he did a ton of short stories and articles, many of which were compiled into books. He also wrote a TV series. The movie would have you believe that after In Cold Blood, he just stopped writing altogether, which is simply untrue. This may just be drama OR it could be a nod to Capote himself who was widely criticized for taking pretty big liberties with the retelling of the murder case, and in fact some said he outright lied in a number of areas. Either way, it's a good movie and it gets a woot. I also think I will be adding In Cold Blood to my reading list.

While I'm here, I'll write about my 2 dilemmas. 1. My local yarn store is going out of business, and although I promised my self that this year I will NOT be buying any new yarn until my stash runs out, this is serious! I could get some great deals! Of course I will wait until everything is 50% off, but is this buying more shit I don't need, or stocking up for future projects? Blargh! 2. I really want to paint my kitchen this fabulous Barn Door Red Color BUT we really really need to rip out the counter which is super cheap and all warped, as well as replacing the back splash, especially behind the sink where it's all mildewed and gross. So, here's the dilemma: do I go ahead and paint the kitchen and worry about just doing touch ups etc. when we do the counter or should I wait until we do the counter and paint then? I think I should probably just paint now because who the hell knows when we will have a couple grand for a new counter. Also a gallon of paint is like 30 bucks, so if we have all this money to do the counter and back splash, we can probably afford an extra 30 for more paint . Hmmm.

Still nothing on the sticks, hopefully will be starting something tonight. It takes me forever to settle on a new project. Tea Time.

No comments:

Oldies but Goodies: