Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Drumroll Please....

It looks kind of gross over there on the side doesn't it? I'm working on it. I really need to figure out a new goal tracking system for 2009 - if you have any suggestions for improvement such as a slick app or some sort of widget please let me know. Currently I keep track of my stuff on an Excel spreadsheet, then I have to manually enter my numbers in two places in this rickety HTML code in the back-end of this blog. It's a pain and far too much work. This is why I failed to keep track of a lot of my things last year. Excuses excuses - I know.

Moving right along. My list contains 31 items this year. As you can see I had some returns, but the majority of things on the list are new. Many of them are one or two shot deals. Seems like I'm aiming lower? Higher? I don't know. You probably noticed a number of personal grooming/taking care of Kate type items. Seems like I'm pretty gross right? Yeah I am. True confession - although I bitch and complain incessantly about how expensive our health/dental insurance is I NEVER utilize it. I seriously have not been to the doc. or the dentist for like two years. This is the stuff I don't get around to. The stuff that has to be done that I reschedule over and over.

Doing the list last year I realized that saying you are going to do something ever day is ridiculous. It's just not going to happen for me. Maybe you can, but I have things going on. My life is willy nilly, things come up. Which is why some things like write 200k words are just variations on doing something daily for 30 minutes. I can keep track and keep up with a 200k word goal, but once those minutes start adding up and slipping away, I'm dunzo.

Did you see that I want to double my income?! Yeah, that shouldn't be hard considering I made very little money last year. Like, under 5k. So doubling that even in the worst recession in nine million years shouldn't be that hard. Hopefully it will increase due to accepted submissions.

This year I have also done a bit of preparation for my tasks coming up. I queued up a bunch of knitting projects and ordered up some yarn. I have a pretty good idea of the books I will be reading this year. And movies are no problem as my Netflix list has like 300 items in it.

I think that's all I have time for right now. You may also notice - though not on the list - I'm going to try and clean up ye olde salty language. Swearing is too easy. I need to exercise my brain and my vocabulary and find other ways to call things shitty.

I'm out.

3 comments:

_oe said...

I wonder how history will treat our generation with regard to our unabashed love for the interwebz? For my part I know my life is better for it, and that blogs with there pseudo-mystic-audiences can be a great motivating tool ... you've certainly shown that much to be true over the last year.

I don't know ... as information becomes more and more available, and therefore less of an actual resource, it will be interesting to see what we do with concepts like knowledge and study - who knows? in 10, 20, 100 years we could be blogging non-stop from our i-phone implants, reading and processing all stories everywhere while simultaneously telling our own. Silly gayass sci-fi shit, maybe? Or maybe our collective unconscious is just starting to wake up.

Anyway, happy new year and birthday too, right? Keep plugging and i'll keep reading!

joe

mommyk8 said...

I've thought a lot about the whole blogging phenomenon, which is not only kind of weird when you think about it, but also incredibly narcissistic. But after some consideration, I have come to the conclusion that the Internet, and blogging specifically are just a new medium for some very old good stuff. In ye olden times it was common practice for people to write poetry, stories, etc. and then get together and read them to each other. Everyone kept journals and diaries, and everyone wrote long boring letters to each other. It is my thought that the internet is actually - as you said - motivating people to be creative and introspective in ways they have not allowed themselves to be for a very long time.

Instant blogging - like you were talking about with implants etc. is basically already here with Twitter etc. I don't really understand that whole deal yet and am sort of trying to figure it out. But I get what you are saying, we are stumbling ourselves to devour and produce information at an alarming pace.

It's interesting that you say "our collective unconscious is just starting to wake up." because have also been thinking about that a lot lately. I subscribe to a few crafting blogs - and dude - people are doing some really really cool shit out there. Not only that but art supply and crafting stores are seeing growth when the rest of the economy is in the tank. I can only help that this wave of creativity continues and it definitely smacks of some sort of collective unconscious awakening. Wasn't it the Toltecs that predicted a huge shift in thought and consciousness like right now?

Anyhow, look what you made me do - write a freaking blog in my comments. Nice work.

_oe said...

i think we're probably twins

Oldies but Goodies: